Reality check: For anyone out there still clinging on to the job hunt, struggling every day. Getting up at midday and not really seeing many people (coz let’s face it, not many of your friends have moved back home). You are not alone. That was me 2 years ago.
This isn’t a sob story post don’t worry. I just wanted you to know that it’s OK. And you haven’t failed. Job hunts are hard, a lot of graduates have never had to do a serious one before (unless they are in dire need of rent money like I was summer 2011) There’s no hard and fast rule and I don’t have a magic wand.
HOWEVER I have a few things you might want to consider…
- Are you being too picky? No task is below anyone and all jobs have to get done by someone, otherwise we wouldn’t have most of the services we rely on. Stick your neck out and get out there! Any work is better than no work, even if you are cleaning the shop floor or bar toilets for a while.
- You might not get the career ladder climbing position you want right away. If you do you’re super lucky! You don’t go DEGREE -> JOB -> MILLIONAIRE over night.
- Are you really trying? I mean REALLY? There is always something you could be doing and yes you might have a 2:1 from a Russell Group University but there may be a reason why you haven’t got yourself sorted post graduation; you didn’t start the job hunt early enough. (And hey, everyone wants to stay a Student forever, so who could blame you?)
- No one is too good to “sign on” although going to the job centre is pretty miserable I would recommend it if your parents can’t afford to support you and if nothing else it is a massive kick up the butt to make you go out there and work hard to get something!
- Make use of your University career service, even if you’re not local to that city any more – they can get dibs on some really good positions!
- Utilise social media massively! Twitter is a surprisingly good source for this kind of thing!
- Use this as an opportunity to reassess your life? Some people use this gap to hit the pause button on being an adult. Maybe find something in another country? (I will write more about this in my next post!)
I try to keep things light so; If all else fails… there’s this (WARNING: contains swears)